AT PENNY AND TUBS FOUNDATION, WE ENCOURAGE PARENTS TO READ ALOUD WITH THEIR CHILDREN.
We encourage parents to inspire a love of reading among their children who are at a high risk of growing up with low literacy skills across the Cincinnati Tri-State Area and around the world.
- We donate books, audiobooks and songs to children at home, school, libraries, YMCAs, children's hospitals and other community based institutions.
- We show children that reading is fun, entertaining and imaginative.
- We engage them though music, dance and interactive readings.
- We present children with moral and educational values though our books.
Here are some frequently asked questions about the role of books and reading in children’s lives. All the answers are taken from national
WHY IS ACCESS TO BOOKS IMPORTANT?
61% OF LOW-INCOME FAMILIES WHO HAVE NO CHILDREN'S BOOKS AT HOME.
Having books in the home has been proven to:
- Improve a child’s reading performance.
- Cause children to read more and for longer lengths of time.
- Produce improved attitudes toward reading and learning among children. (1)
In addition, children who live in print-rich environments and are regularly read to during the first years of life are more likely to learn to read on schedule throughout adolescents.
61% of low-income families do no children's books at home.
Our goal as the Penny & Tubs Foundation is to fill this void and provide these underserved families with opportunities to reverse their situation and become immersed in the literary culture that can change the lives of their children and help shape their future success and development.